Geography and music.... any suggestions ?

Broken off from editing for a while to produce some new materials of my own...
This time they are for the online updates that accompany the forthcoming Harper Collins KS3 Geography series that I have been involved in producing teacher materials and other work for (athough my name doesn't seem to appear in the details of the books that are available to pre-order on Amazon, which is a pity...)
Images from my Glastonbury Flickr set

The resources are on Geography and Music.


I know about the MUSIC FESTIVAL resources on the GTT website already, which use the festival as a context for teaching a range of geographical skills, including mapwork and decision making.
I'm looking for a little direction here....

If you have any ideas for what could go into a unit on GEOGRAPHY and MUSIC, please add comments below, or e-mail/tweet me...

So far I have:

  • Music linked to places / countries / cities e.g. Liverpool / Manchester
  • Music technology - iPod manufacture and downloads
  • Globalisation of acts such as Lady Gaga and the size of the global music industry
  • Song lyrics
  • Sustainability of major music festivals

Comments

mandared said…
This looks like it will be a great unit to teach :-) How about planning a tour for a group - places/venues/transport...

Maybe also looking at certain areas of cities for certain types of music - what you'd find in Hoxton would be very different from Walthamstow or Wembley.

World music could be interesting too - how does it travel from one place to another, how does that migrate into more popular music as it reaches a new audience (thinking of the progression of R&B here). I heard someone speaking about the use of 'talking drums' in Africa to transmit messages without the colonisers having a clue what was happening too - would be fascinating to know more about!
Alan Parkinson said…
Thanks for some excellent ideas. I had some similar ideas with regard to planning a tour: many years ago I used to use an illustrated map of a Genesis tour through Europe to teach mapwork.
The idea of urban music also occurred to me.
Musical developments will also be involved.
I'll let you know when the resource is complete :)
Angus Willson said…
Geographical distance was more significant in the spread of culture eg
- pirate radio didn't even cover the whole of England;
- The Beatles hysteria at airports in an era when flights were beyond the experience of ordinary mortals;
- a YouTube film clip of Hendrix (Preston Poly, I think)with a small crowd standing with the house lights up (imagine!) and no velvet loons or purple silk in sight (cf today's concert clones)
- bands came to your venue, not you travelling miles to see bands, so people saw acts they had never heard of (plus multiple support acts gave first exposure to new bands)

As for me, I now prefer the instant access of virtually any music of my choice from the comfort of my own home!
Alan Parkinson said…
Thanks for the historical perspective here Angus ;)
I'm a big fan of using colleagues as a resource here. Would be interest to ask what the first concert the staff had seen and when...
I've got an old concert tickets set on my Flickr
I like the idea of concert clones - wonder when the merchandising that we see now started to happen.
Lauren said…
You could also talk about things like rock against racism and the impact that music has had challenging issues... and what about national anthems - 'god, save the queen' - is there are god, and should we have a queen - does this anthem represent us?
Alan Parkinson said…
Thanks Lauren - some more good ideas there on the geographies of music. Rock against racism is a good one, and also the stance of musicians such as Morrissey against meat eaters etc, or War, what is it good for ? plus Peter Gabriel's Biko, Wallflower etc.
AnneG said…
Did you see that BBC (4 maybe) programme the other night about Top of the Pops in 1976? Not necessarily related to geography and music, more social history and music I guess. Obviously it talked about the emergence of punk the following year which grew out of boredom and social unrest. Just thinking aloud here really and the effects of what's happening in society coming through in musical styles and lyrics, and vice versa what's happening in music affecting subcultures and wider public opinion. I'm sure there's a geographical connection here somewhere. Always happy to contribute to resources on geography and music if I can :-)
Alan Parkinson said…
Thanks Anne.
There's plenty of scope here. I'm going to do a short resource first for the Collins project, then develop it further...