Keep taking the tablets.. : Nexus 7 Update 1

On Wednesday this week, my Google Nexus 7 tablet was delivered.

I went for the 8Gb model, as I don't intend to fill it full of music and pictures: I have other devices for that.
I already have an iPad, although my son ensures that I hardly get a look in on that.
I wanted to explore the possibilities of Android, although a lot of the apps in the store are for phones rather than for tablets...

I discovered a user forum which has potential to be useful in time.

One of the other things I discovered when browsing for apps was that quite a few of them were not compatible with the Nexus 7 (that may change in time I suppose)
These included some I would have expected to be such as BBC iPlayer.....

There has already been a lot of chat and I've been browsing various postings, Twitter feeds etc to see what the craic is.
I'm trying to decide on the best app to write notes when I'm offline and away from WIFI.

15 best apps posting is useful, and led me to a few things that I downloaded.

First apps I've added to the device are as follows:

  • Amazon Kindle - downloaded some of the books I've previously purchased for the summer...
  • Astrid Tasks / To Do List
  • BBC News
  • Camera Launcher - will produce panoramas and also shoot video... not great quality but better than nothing...
  • Dropbox (also synced the device so that any screenshots I take go there...)
  • Evernote
  • Flipboard
  • Google Drive
  • London 2012
  • Spotify - essential...
  • TuneIn Radio

These are in alphabetical order as that's how they are displayed on the screen.

So, the screen is great, sound is good. Google Earth looks cool, and the GMail app works really smoothly. I like the little notification chime for that as well...
I need to get myself a case, and I'm still getting used to the size of it. Works well with the stylus pen that I use with the iPad.

I'll be using the tablet over the summer.... and will report back during the next six weeks some more geographical uses of it...

Comments