Gig Economy

A useful definition of a growing industrial sector.

I was, until recently, on a zero hours contract myself with the Institute of Education, but it wasn't my sole source of income, and I could sit out the delays in getting payment which ensue with this sort of contract. Others are not so lucky...

There are many who have no choice but to find themselves on this sort of contract. Whenever I visit Norwich I see the Deliveroo riders hanging around Chapelfield waiting for their next job, and they pass you in the city quite a lot... I saw some at the weekend heading off on another delivery. In this case, there's a distinction between this more 'physical' gig work and the more 'digital' gig work which can be done from anywhere in the world...

There are plenty of variations on this theme, and it will be interesting to see how this sector of the economy develops over the next year or so. Having worked as a freelancer for two years, it's always seemed to me to be too precarious and unsustainable unless you are very lucky and adaptable and have a niche that you can occupy that continues to connect you with work...

Comments